I am collecting artiles I find about the village of Christiana DE where my cottage is. This is so I can read them in one place and not lose where they are.
The History of Christiana, Part 1
John Ogle and his Eagle’s Point Estate
Its common knowledge that what was to become the village of Christiana was first settled by a Mr. John Ogle. John Ogle was born on September 30, 1649, at Berwick Upon Tweed, Northumberland, England to John Ogle of the same place. The elder John was from Eglingham, and in 1650 received a commission as captain of militia for the four northern counties, and the next year he was under the commonwealth a commissioner and also commanding a troop of horse in Scotland. According to Mormon Church which deals in genealogy, John was a direct descendant of King Edward the First. The Ogle’s had their own castle in Northumberland, England.
Young John Ogle early became aware of the difficulties which his family were likely to experience after the Restoration, and he undoubtedly had heard tales of adventures in the New World, and so when the opportunity was presented to him, John Ogle joined Colonel Nicolls' expedition, bound for America. He was a scant 14 when he joined Nicholl’s ranks.
In March 1664, the whole of the territory in America occupied by the Dutch on the Atlantic seaboard was granted by Charles II to his brother, the Duke of York, on the plea that it was British soil by right of discovery. On 25 May 1664, Colonel Nicolls, with four ships, 300 soldiers and 450 men, sailed from Portsmouth. The expedition arrived at New Amsterdam, and without firing a shot, Governor Stuyvesant surrendered the town on 29 August and promptly changed the name to New York.
John Ogle, who had served under Captain Carr in Delaware, became a permanent resident of White Clay Creek Hundred, named from the deposits of white clay found along its banks. John Ogle first resided at New Castle, where he was a large land-buyer; he afterwards lived at various sites on his extensive holdings. He commenced acquiring land at an early date, probably as soon as the confusion of the conquest and the settlement of Indian troubles permitted it.
The first grant that John Ogle received was in February 1666, from Governor Nicolls, who had empowered the officers of Delaware to dispose of 'implanted' land there for the best advantage of the inhabitants. This tract was 800 or 1000 acres total, including a 300 acre tract known as “Muscle Cripple”. The original document omits the exact acreage, but it requires a yearly quitrent of 8 bushels of wheat, the standard being 1 bushel for each hundred acres per year. Later records record him owning 1,000 acres in Christiana, although it is unknown if it was all from the original grant or a combination of lands.
The land as platted for Ogle was a long rectangle, lying between the north side of the Christiana Creek and the south side of the White Clay Creek. It encompasses the area currently encompassing the town of Christiana, the Christiana Mall, and the Christiana Hospital Center Complex. It was bounded on the east by Hans Bones, the south by James Crawford, and the southeast by Sergeant John Erskine. The north and west were undeveloped, due to the fact that they were above the head of navigation on the streams.
The story of John Ogle is closely bound up with that of his friends Thomas Wollaston and James Crawford, who took a liking to young Ogle and formed a friendship which continued throughout their lives. In about 1670, Ogle married Elizabeth Petersdotter.
Elizabeth Petersdotter was the daughter of Peter Jochimsson, a settler in New Sweden in the first voyage in 1642. She was born in 1654, moved from her home as a teenager to help in the
household of her uncle, Anders Stille, living on Christina River. Here she met and married John Ogle. John and Elizabeth Ogle had two sons, Thomas Ogle, born c. 1672, died 1734, and John Ogle, born c. 1674, died 1720.
John Ogle and Rev. Jacob Fabritius were indicted in 1675 for inciting the Swedes and Finns to riot in opposition to orders of the New Castle Court to build a dike and road for Hans Block, a Dutchman. The three friends settled on nearby plantations in New Castle County, where their wives survived them. The Records of the Court of Newcastle give a picture of their lives after 1676.
An eye-witness account of the events of June 1675 has revealed something of the character of John Ogle of that period - swashbuckling, rash and reckless, with an amount of courage appropriate to the rough and tumble frontier environment. He was not one to be imposed on, especially by one of the Dutch who certainly did not amount to much in the eyes of His Majesty's soldiers. Under order of the Governor-General, the magistrates met at New Castle on 4 June 1675, and decided that it would be necessary to build a road across the marsh and to build a dyke in the marsh next to the town. Another dyke across Hans Block's marsh was also thought necessary, and the inhabitants were ordered to assist in the project by contributing labor or money. The project was strenuously opposed by the settlers because the dyke across Hans Block's marsh was an improvement to private property. John Ogle was a leader of the objectors and peremptorily informed the magistrates that no dykes at all would be built under any such unfair conditions. His objections stirred the people to great excitement in the church where the public meeting was held; and Ogle was put out of the church. Mathys Smith and the Rev. Jacobus Fabricius took up the cause and as a result Ogle and Fabricius were arrested. They were confined in a boat which was anchored nearby, where they continued their public imprecations. Excitement was high, and they were eventually released. Later Hans Block encountered Ogle on the street and was told that if the Finns had been drunk no good would have come from the incident. It was an affront to constituted authority and called for severe disciplinary measures.
Conditions in New Castle were not good at that time; carousals, fights and robberies were the order of the day, and it wasn't a safe place for a stranger. William Edmunsdon, 'a Public Friend' visiting there, found it difficult to secure lodgings, 'the inhabitants being chiefly Dutch and Finns addicted to drunkenness', who refused to take him in, even though he had money.
Special warrants were issued by the Governor against Fabricius and Ogle, who with others had signed a remonstrance. The two chief trouble makers were ordered to appear in the August Court, and the other signers before a later court. Fabricius appeared and the proceedings resulted in the unfrocking of the troublesome person; Ogle, who conveniently fell sick, failed to appear, and no further action was taken against him.
After the excitement of the summer of 1675, Ogle proceeded to acquire more land, and the tract known as Hampton, on the south side of St. George's Creek, consisting of 300 acres, was confirmed to him by Governor Andross on 5 November 1675.
In 1675 the Governor ordered the construction of highways, and the inhabitants of New Castle and the surrounding area, and on the south side of Christiana Creek were made responsible for constructing a highway from New Castle to Red Lyon between the first of January and the end of February. The highway was to be a good passable one, twelve feet wide, and John Ogle was appointed overseer of the residents around Christiana Creek.
Ogle was an extensive producer of tobacco, and like other planters he was continually involved in financial and other difficulties. Little ready money changed hands in those days, and the barter system was the common way of doing business. New Castle court records reveal that in February 1676 Ogle accused one of the Dutch residents of stealing his heifer.
On 25 August 1680, Thomas Wollaston of White Clay Creek wrote a letter to John Briggs of West Jersey which he gave to John Ogle for delivery. Wollaston had a debt of three years standing against Briggs. Ogle made the journey, stopping in New York, where 27 August he
made an affidavit concerning the transaction. The affidavit began: “John Ogle, aged thirty-two or thereabouts…”
Although he was given the land by patent as early as 1666, the seventy-four acre tract at what would become Christiana wasn’t surveyed for John Ogle, which he called "Eagles Point," until December 8, 1683. This tract is situated west of Old Baltimore Pike and north of Main Street. But its unknown if John Ogle even actually lived here or closer to Ogletown, because in late 1683 John Ogle died.
The original 1683 Plat of the Eagle’s Point Tract, deeded to John Ogle
Gone but Not Forgotten
Mrs. Francis A. Hales. Frances A. “Tubby” Hales, age 94, a lifelong resident of 33 N. Old Baltimore Pike, Christiana, DE, passed away Saturday February 10, 2007, at Union Hospital after a brief illness. Mrs. Hales was born on March 14, 1912, the daughter of the late Ernest and Rachel Louth. A lifelong member of Christiana United Methodist Church, she had a deep faith and love of the Lord. Until her death, Frances had more active years than any Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary member in the state of Delaware. She delivered meals on wheels until her 90th year and enjoyed canning and traveled extensively. She was a devoted and loving mother, grandmother, great-grandmother and great great-grandmother. This remarkable woman will be missed by countless friends and family members. Her favorite quote, which summed up her philosophy of life was, "pray about it and leave it in the hands of the Lord". She is survived by her 2 sons, Raymond Hales and his wife, Betty, of Elkton, MD and Charles Hales and his wife, June, of Christiana, DE; 7 grandchildren, Sally Cole, Raymond Hales, Jr., Chris Hales, Christina Hales, Karen Angelo, Kevin Wyatt and Kenneth Wyatt; 4 great grandchildren; and 3 great great grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her husband, Harry S. Hales.
Mildred Cunane Smith. Mrs. Mildred Smith, age 89, of Christiana, DE, passed away on November 17, 2007 at Newark Manor Nursing Home. Born to the late Joseph and Anna (Stalena) Schurko of Olyphant, PA, she attended grammar school and Ukrainian school. At age 14, she left for New York City and began to do domestic work in a number of mansions there and later in Delaware. Mildred began to do oil paintings at the age of 20, and exhibited this wonderful talent for the next 50 years. She married Joseph Cunane in 1940 and raised 4 sons in a bucolic setting, surrounded by farms and woods. Her beloved Joseph passed away in 1965. As an active volunteer with the Christiana Fire Co. Ladies Auxiliary, she helped with many fundraising events. Also, she loved to garden, attend yard sales, collect antiques and play pinochle. Alden P. Smith and Mildred married and began a wonderful journey for the next 25 years. They enjoyed spending many winter months in West Palm Beach, FL with her sister Anna. Over the years they traveled to all 50 states. After reaching the age of 80 she enjoyed 2 trips to Ireland with family and dear friends Peggy, Betty and Bob. She was preceded in death by her husbands of 25 years each Joseph Cunane and Alden P. Smith. Also, 3 sisters and 2 brothers. Survivors include sons, Joseph and his wife Nona of Newark, DE James of New Castle, DE, Thomas of Bear, DE and Robert of Newark, DE; sisters, Anna Zurko of West Palm Beach, FL and Olga Harcarik and her husband John of Trumbull, CT; 4 grandchildren, Dawn, Nona, Joseph and Christine all of Newark and 8 great grandchildren.
Alma T. Cleaver. Mrs. Alma T. Cleaver, also known as “Lovie", age 90, of Newark, died on Monday, January 28, 2008. She was born in Newark on June 5, 1917, the eldest of 13 children of the late Isaac Thorp and Alma Ross Thorp. A talented homemaker, she was an active member of Salem United Methodist Church for many years. Mrs. Cleaver greatly enjoyed reading and working in her flower garden throughout her life. Her beloved husband, Homer Orville Cleaver, Sr., died in 1996. She was also preceded in death by 3 sons, Ronald Cleaver, Homer Cleaver, Jr. and Wallace Cleaver; a daughter-in-law, Mary Cleaver (wife of Wallace); a brother, Isaac Thorp, Jr.; and a sister, Monty Radcliffe. She is survived by 3 children, Judith Bell and husband, Samuel, of Newark, DE; Eugene Cleaver and wife, Sandra, of Gulnare, CO; and Charles Cleaver and wife, Janet, of Newark, DE; daughter-in-law, Lois Cleaver (wife of Homer Jr.) of Newark, DE; 10 siblings, Albert Thorp of Romy, WV; William Thorp of Newark, DE; Herman Thorp of Wilmington, DE; Robert Thorp of Newark, DE; Charles Thorp of Wilmington, DE; Raymond Thorp of Millsboro, DE; Dora Harbeck of Shockabee, MN; Anita Harper of Ashton, PA; Evelyn Bell of Dover, DE; and Donald Thorp of Newark, DE; 10 grandchildren; 13 great grandchildren; and 1 great great granddaughter.
Mrs. Myrtle C. Thorp. Mrs. Myrle C. Thorp, Age 77, passed away peacefully on January 29, 2008, surrounded by family and friends after a very brief illness. A lifelong resident of Wilmington, DE, Myrle was born September 28, 1930, the daughter of the late Herman and Mary Stack. She graduated from PS Dupont, the class of 1948. Myrle worked many years for Delaware Mutual Underwriters and retired after working at State Farm. She was also the bookkeeper for 35 years for her husband's business, Thorp Brothers Roofing. She was an active member of Christiana United Methodist Church, loved reading and gardening, but mostly enjoyed the time she spent with her grandchildren. She will be missed by those she left behind, her husband of 56 years, Herman R. Thorp; daughter, Jean E. Nieves and her companion, Kevin Bogia of Newark; grandchildren, Christopher Thorp of Millsboro, Alexander and Elizabeth Miles of Newark. She is also survived by her son, Daniel R. Thorp of FL, and extended family members, Cynthia Stephenson Willis and her son Joshua.
Irene Anderson. Mrs. Irene M. Anderson, Age 89, of Wilmington, DE, passed away peacefully on Tuesday, February 19, 2008 at Christiana Care. Irene graduated from the University of Delaware in 1940. Upon graduation, she and a group of approximately 10 college friends agreed to meet once a month to continue their friendship, and they named their group "College Club." Over the years, these meetings turned from a evening in their homes to lunch in homes and restaurants, finally ending almost a year ago. These ladies and their unique club were highlighted as the subject of a News-Journal article. Another important club to Irene was a group of neighbors who began to meet in the evenings once a month in the early 1950's. Even though some members moved to other neighborhoods, the group continued, with Irene attending her last group lunch in 2007. A life-long member of Christiana Presbyterian Church, Irene was active in the church's Women's Society. Upon graduation, Irene worked at Atlas Powder Company, as a substitute teacher in New Castle County schools, and finally spent 19 years with DuPont Engineering. Irene's hobbies included any kind of needlework from making clothes, slipcovers and draperies to quilt making, crewel, needlepoint and cross-stitch. She also liked cooking and baking. Her family was very important to her, and she especially enjoyed spending time at the family mountain home. Irene was preceded in death by her husband of 64 years, Duncan C. Anderson, Sr., and 2 sons, Duncan C. Anderson, Jr. and David R. Anderson, Sr., Esquire. A devoted mother, sister, grandmother, and great grandmother Irene is survived by a daughter, Peggy Gibson and her husband Joseph; a daughter-in-law, Ana R. Anderson; a brother, Robert N. Morrison; 6 grandchildren, David R. Anderson, Jr., Duncan C. Anderson, III and his fiancée, Angela Wueschinski, Elizabeth L. Patrick and her husband, Bruce, Ryan M. Anderson, R. Tyler Anderson, Sara R. Anderson; a great grandson, Bruce David Patrick; and a loving extended family and many friends.
Exclusive Peek at Historic Shannon Inn in Christiana, Delaware
BY CAROLYN ROLAND-HISTORIC HOMES FOR SALE IN DELAWARE AND S. CHESTER COUNTY PA
Real Estate Agent with Patterson-Schwartz Real Estate
EMAIL SHORT URL
Share:January 02, 2012 01:39 PM
I was fortunate enough to get a New Year’s Day 2012 tour of a property which was saved from destruction in 1976 in the historic crossroads town of Christiana, Delaware.1868 map
During the Revolutionary war, there were 2 hotels in Christiana, the Christiana Inn and the Shannon Hotel, located across the main intersection from one another and both dating back to at least 1770. The Shannon was famous for the quality of its food and the Inns played host to Washington, Lafayette, Benjamin Latrobe, and Mason and Dixon, according to local lore. (map from the 1868 Pomeroy and Beers Atlas of Delaware).
That the strategic location was the last bridge downstream on the Christiana river from Wilmington explained its importance.
In 1976, the Shannon was purchased by math teacher and all around contractor and history buff, Joe Harper, who has been working on restoration on and off since then. He has a warehouse full of all kinds of building parts, and ended up tearing down the far right addition and rebuilding it.
Shannon Inn 1976
Above left you can see how the Shannon appears today, and on the right you see a picture from the 1970's National Register Historic District nomination. The nomination form tells us that the oldest section of the Shannon is in the center, with a Flemish bond brickwork front, water table (the raised brickwork running under the windows to keep rain from running into the foundation) and a pent eave above the first floor windows (the roof-like projection) typical of the area's early architecture.
Below are pictures of the interior and Mr. Harper. Particularly interesting is the interior of the firebox of the fireplace where vandals have removed the original fielded paneling. From a second floor window we can see that the Shannon still is at a crossroads, in this case not because of the Christiana River (which is now a narrow creek) but because it is near the State's largest mall, Christiana Mall.
panelled fireplace wall fireplace
|Old fireplace before repairs.|
Preliminary research shows bricklayer Richard Humphries did my fireplace and many others in the area. I found one exactly the same in North East Maryland a few miles away in an Ice Cream Parlor exactly the same. He was a bricklayer in the mid 1800's in the area.
Delaware House fireplace after repairs and painted June 2016.
Larry DuHardaway a retired fireman from Christiana fire station stopped in the back yard. He bought the house in 1977 and sold it a few years later. He said when he purchased it it was still very primitive. Only a water well and out houses, 2 of them in the back yard. Very limited one wire electric service. The water was from a natural spring on the property and is the reason there seems to be lots of water in the basement at times. He just said live with it and use the sump pump. He could never stop the leakage. He also said the basement is bigger and most likely there is more closed off behind an extended wall in it. He did improvements, added in county water service, better electric service, a real bath room and septic tank. In 1977 he paid $5,000 for it as the condition was so primitive. After he sold it in the 1980's it burned down. The fire department bought it, rebuilt it as a garage, map room, and telephone response building. Phone wires are all over the interior walls. After the fire he could see the original walls, 18 inch thick masonry with large oak beams hand hewed as wall supports and floor joists. He said the beams are massive and throughout the building. Next time he comes to visit the fire house he will tell me more. He is sure the local paper has an article about the fire. And when the fire house rebuilt the place.
Christiana Historic District
is a national historic district
located at Christiana
, New Castle County, Delaware
. It encompasses nine contributing buildings. They include: Brinkle-Maxwell House (c. 1786), Jones Mansion House Lot (c. 1752), Christiana Presbyterian Church (1757), Joel Lewis House (c. 1799), Christiana Methodist Episcopal Church (1858), Christiana Inn (c. 1770), Hillis Mansion House, and Shannon Hotel.
I ordered 3 books on the history of Christiana one was also on Google Books but I wanted a hard copy.
See also link: https://books.google.com/books?id=3c5iAQAAQBAJ&lpg=PA1&pg=PA7#v=onepage&q&f=false
Delaware's Forgotten River: The Story of the Christina Hardcover – 1947